Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Variations on a theme

 These are some of the christmas cakes that were ordered from me this year.  Knowing I would be swamped with work for the "Dickens by Candlelight" production, I tried to keep the design simple yet elegant.  None of my customers had any specific requests vis a vis design, so this is what I came up with.  I sprayed all the snowflakes with pearl glitter, but unfortunately my camera doesn't show that.  
                                 
This blue cake is a toned-down version of my original turquoise Christmas cake; and admittedly one of my favourites.  I can't help having a thing for anything blue!


I also liked the effect of these two-toned snowflakes.  This cake was for a male customer to be devoured in purely male company, so my intent was to make a more masculine cake.
Finally this snow-white cake pictured below was made for a customer who wanted as little artificial colouring as possible.  At first I was inclined to think that this one was a little too wedding cakeish, but on reflection it works well for christmas.  The customer was pleased, which is after all the most important issue!

All of these cakes have now gone to their new homes and after weeks of being surrounded by cakes of all sizes and shapes in various stages of assembly, I feel like I'm suffering from empty nest syndrome.  Surely there must be SOMETHING I can decorate!  So I have decided to try my hand at baking a Sacher Torte as a present for a dear friend of mine.  She hates fruit cake, so I have never considered giving one to her in the past.  See my next post for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment